During the search for the proper keywords, you will find yourself in a situation where you’ll have to choose keywords that are more appropriate for your site. Appropriate in the sense that you’ll try to sort out those keywords that best fit the profile of your website according to:
- Correlation (Theme field)
- Value (keywords which will bring you visitors looking for exactly what you are providing)
- Keywords which are bringing visitors to your site. (newsletter subscription? User data base registration?)
Keywords matching the above mentioned description can be exactly the ones that will make the difference…
Considering that the assesment of those keywords is abstract to a certain extent due to human faktor, it is neccesary to make a list by which we will try to cover as many reference points as possible, and thereby sort out and recognize those more important ones.
Since it is easier to visualy represent the whole process, I’ll give you several graphical demonstrations made by the crew from elliance (I would hereby thank them for ceding their infographics for the purpose of this tutorial):
Guidelines for selecting keywords
Connection. Assess how the keyword is related to the theme field of your page.
- Is the keyword related to the page?
- Is there some logical correlation between the keyword and the page/service you are providing?
- Can the keyword convey the message and tell the visitor what can be found on the certain page?
- More valuable terms will ensure more benefit than those less valued- either by incresing the number of visits, or by goals realization(subscription, registration, sales)
- Keywords that convert either by subscription, registration, sales or which will result in linking to your page, are more valuable.
- By using a keyword not related to the pages, you will get some non-quality traffic (visitors will probably leave the page in a few seconds)
Conversions. In retrospect to this part, considering that this term is often generalized — conversion must not indicate direct sales or subscription to certain service. Visitors that link to your site, write about your site or subscribe to it, they also can be considered as leads (or conversions) because after all, they help you in promoting, branding, visibility, increase of visits and contribute to the sales.